Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Vegetables?

So, I realized the other day that we hardly ever eat vegetables here in India. When I cook in the crock pot I always throw in some carrots and we do eat a lot of potatoes, but not much green stuff. Now, my nannies eat green veggies at every meal, but they spend what seems like hours preparing them and then cooking them into a curry of sorts. I tried to figure out why I had given up on making vegetables. They do take a lot longer to prepare here as nothing is canned. Plus, I don’t know what half of the vegetables at the market are. You can’t always get things that you recognize. But, I had decided that I was going to start making them more often again. Then I had lunch today and remembered another reason I gave up vegetables! I decided to order a nice chicken Caesar salad at the country club today. I had gone down to the pool in the morning because Monday is a “nanny day,” when the nannies are allowed down at the kids pool to help with the children. I like to take both kids down on that day so they can both swim and I have some help with watching them. After we swam, they boys went home for a nap and I stayed to exercise, eat lunch, and work on this journal I am so behind on! So, back to my salad. It was wonderful! The chicken was cooked perfectly and the lettuce seemed so nice. I felt encouraged that yes, I can start making more salads (even though I wasn’t really sure what kind of lettuce I was eating). Then, as I was finishing eating and only had a few pieces of lettuce left, I was reminded why I stopped making salads…worms! Yes, right there on my lettuce was a tiny worm looking up at me. Well, it wasn’t actually looking at me but it might as well have been. I was done eating and resolved again that I will not be making salads here in India. Maybe I will try green beans again though!

No comments: