We woke up early then next morning in Mumbai and left the boys with the nannies as we headed to Delhi. We got checked into our hotel and then started touring the city. First we visited Qutub Minar. This is the tallest stone tower in India. It was made by Muslims using pieces from destroyed Hindu temples. It also has a 1,600 year old iron pillar near it that we saw. Next we saw the Lotus Temple. This is a temple for the Bahai faith, but it is open to people of all religions. After that we went to India Gate Road where we saw the India Gate and some of the government buildings. After a few hours of touring, we headed over to Surinder’s house for dinner. Surinder is one of Joel’s colleagues at work as well as a friend. When we first got there he offered us all sort of drinks. I don’t drink much alcohol and didn’t know what half the drinks he was offering me were. So, Dick and I decided to get something “safe” and just got a Pepsi. Little did I know how Indian’s serve Pepsi at social functions. My drink came to me with black pepper around the rim (like you would put salt on a margarita glass) and then had a ton stirred in to the glass. It was absolutely awful and almost ruined Pepsi permanently for me. I was wishing at that moment that I had just ordered a gin or even a whiskey! I did get a kick out of watching Dick’s face as he tried to figure out what in the heck he was drinking. The dinner was nice though and we had great conversation. It was a good experience for all of us to have a dinner in an Indian’s home. They were great hosts and his wife was a good cook. Plus, I got a great joke to share with you from Surinder. He said he hoped it wouldn’t offend Barbie or me (which it didn’t), and it was interesting to see an Indian’s view on life…
What is Heaven? 1. Indian wife
2. American salary
3. English house
4. Chinese food
What is hell? 1. American wife
2. Indian salary
3. Chinese house
4. English food
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment